Friday, December 9, 2011

You Will Feel Happy and Sad At The Same Time.....

You will feel happy and sad at the same time.....This is how Merany explained San Martin to me this morning.  She could not have come up with a better explanation!

So today we went to San Martin, a center for the older special needs. I have to admit that I was a little uneasy at first. I was not sure what to expect. All I knew is that the majority of these people do not know how old they really are. When I started feeling uneasy about them hugging/ rubbing me or all in my face I would remind myself that these are just big kids! Once the uneasy feeling wore off I had such a great time!

We started out by feeding the ones that were in House 1. There were quite a few different houses in the center and they were arranged around a basketball court. I was handed a bowl and asked to feed Alvin. The Tia told me "slow"....lets just say that was an understatement, but I did enjoy it. All of the other boys in the house were done eating, the Tia had cleaned up, and Alvin and I were still working on our bowl. Alvin never spoke a word, he just kept looking at me in the eyes and I knew exactly when he was ready for another bite. Sweet moment!

When we went to House 2, I had the absolute best time I have had in such a long time! I am pretty sure I have never laughed as hard as I have during this time! Keka and Mario were two boys that I will not forget. Keka was not born handicapped. As a child, Kaka's father used him to transport drugs. He would cut him open, put the drugs in and sew him up until delievery. This went on for long enough until the effects of these things to his body took over. Keka seems as though he really knows what is going on, but his precious body does not have the strength to keep going. Mario is another boy in this house. Mario was right by Keka all day. I made the comment that Mario and Keka must be best friends :) While we were in the room with the two boys, Mario remembered Merany letting him listen to Micheal Jackson and Justin Bieber, so he asked about it. Merany got the music started and the laughing and dancing began! Mario was quite the character and Keka just watched him and smiled! Mario got out a plastic flute and played along to the music! It was so funny, but he did an amazing job..I got a video of Mario showing his Micheal moves and playing the flute, but I cannot figure out how to put it on here!!!


Mario and Keka





I could go on and on about each house, but we would be here all night :) These were the highlights of my day!! We hung out, coloring, joked, LAUGHED and had such a good time with SO many people today at San Martin! I am so glad we went to San Martin and I am glad I didn't let my uncomfortable feeling keep me from enjoying my time with such precious people!

No comments:

Post a Comment